Joshua Judson Rosen
That just feels... pointless at best, confusing at worst?
|1 year ago|
|gpl-3.0.txt||7 years ago|
|readme.md||1 year ago|
|xmpp-ircd.py||2 years ago|
This particular fork aims to be ran as an IRC server connected to a single XMPP MUC server as a standard XMPP component. This will hopefully allow IRC server operators to migrate to hosting real XMPP MUCs with minimal headache or complaining from hardcore IRC users, and also allow XMPP MUC operators to easily add IRC support.
Install dependencies, python libs xmpp and daemon, on Debian/Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install python-xmpp python-daemon
./xmpp-ircd.py --muc-server=chat.example.com --component-name=irc.example.com --component-pass=irc
Which will connect to 127.0.0.1:5347 as an XMPP component and serve the MUC chat.example.com as an IRC server on port 6667.
prosody for example would need this component configuration for the above command:
Component "chat.example.com" "muc" Component "irc.example.com" component_secret = "irc"
Then, whether an XMPP user connects to xmpp:email@example.com?join or an IRC user to irc://irc.example.com:6667/example they will both be in the same channel, hopefully unable to tell the other is using a completely different protocol.
- XMPP-IRCd users and developers can be found hanging out in the XMPP-IRCd chatroom. Come chat with us!
- XEP-0045: Multi-User Chat
- RFC-1459: Internet Relay Chat Protocol
- Unfortunately real traffic between an IRC client and server may be the best documentation, as it tends to ignore the RFC when deemed convenient.
Useful command to watch real IRC traffic between actual client and server, connect client to localhost:4444:
socat -v TCP-LISTEN:4444,fork OPENSSL:irc.freenode.net:6697
- NickServ/SASL auth
- finish /list /whois
- handle XMPP disconnecting
- handle shutdown cleanly
- init scripts?
- other IRC commands?
- nick changes are hacky, can lock up gajim private messages rarely somehow...
- Nicks are only unique per-channel in XMPP, but per-server in IRC, I don't know that there IS a good solution for this. The main problem this brings up is with private messaging, there is no way to know who you are chatting with. Nick changes are also affected, but that only prevents you from changing your nick in a channel if you are joined with any other channels where the nick is taken.
License - GNU/GPLv3
xmpp-ircd, IRC to Jabber/XMPP gateway. forked from Telepaatti Copyright (C) 2007-2009 Petteri Klemola Copyright (C) 2015 moparisthebest xmpp-ircd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 as published by the Free Software Foundation. xmpp-ircd is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.